Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Broken cumuli

Facing the same western sky as last night's sunset, I saw this parade of cumulus clouds (plural cumuli) blew by this morning about 9:30 am. High cirrus clouds are visible to the left and well above these tumbling cumuli with their moving windows on the cerulean blue sky.


When I look at the sky and then look back at the watercolor paper, I have to make my eyes shift between positive space (real clouds) and negative space (white paper). It is a mental challenge sometimes beyond my capacity!


Those winking windows fascinate me--the clouds constantly moving, opening and closing the apertures of sky. I love the colors in the clouds also; the warm and cool grays show the weight of moisture held inside the cloud, the pale blues barely obscuring the sky beyond. What a wonderful challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment